Warwick Castle
Les Lobb's Diary
November 2017
Contact us
Soon be xmas!
Mum's birthday bash went off ok, with visits from friends and family during the day. We got through an iced fruit cake, a chocolate cake, a victoria sponge and a coffee and walnut cake, that's without counting all the savoury nibbles.
Got home yesterday after a few days away - visited Trevone on the north Cornish coast, where we have spent many holidays in our younger years and then came back via the south Devon coast. Smashing weather and not many tourists about, but the lanes don't get any wider!
Mini market today and all the gloves, scarves and hats Dawn has knitted are going on the charity stall.
Just booked the ferry to France for the week after next - not often we get a full week with no appts for Mum, so we're making the most of it.
Our friend, after 7 years medical training and having a popular practice, has lost his livelihood, after falling in love with a patient.
He says they only had sex once.

Struck off, for one mistake. He'll be sadly missed

Best damn Vet in Devon
A Glasgow policeman spots a huge black guy dancing on the roof of a Ford car. He radios for backup.

"What's the situation?"

"A big fat black guy is dancing on the roof of an old Ford car."

"You can't say that over the radio!" replies the operator, "You have to use politically correct terminology."

"OK", he says:

Bus is loaded and ready for the off in the morning. We're catching the afternoon ferry from Portsmouth which should dock about 21.30 in Ouistreham, then a short drive before stopping for the night.
Mum is stocked up with enough food and goodies to last till Xmas and there are lots of people calling in while we are away.
Got back to cream tea land on the 20th after a brilliant trip:-
Bus searched at Portsmouth, then a very good crossing with both of us sleeping like babes; so late waking that the cabin cleaners were knocking on the door while Dawn was still in the shower.
Felt wide awake so drove to La Fleche, where we spent the night alongside the river Sarthe. Heading south the next day, we called in for lunch at Montreuil Bellay and then tootled on down to Vivonne for another quiet, if cooler, night.
Chateau Duckworth near Poitiers was our destination the following day, where Trevor and Glenda made us very welcome and fed us like royalty. It had been some time since we met, so lots of catching up to do.
Reluctantly, we headed north the next morning and had a beautiful journey with trees in full autumn plumage and managed a visit to Decathlon (fishing tackle section) before settling down for the night back at Montreuil Bellay, beneath the chateau walls.
Thursday saw us back in the area we knew and an invite to lunch with Howard; again another splendid meal and loads of chat. Howard made us soup in his soup maker which impressed us so much I bought Dawn one for Xmas and we used it yesterday to make a scrummy carrot & coriander first attempt.
Another night by the river at La Fleche and then visiting more friends in the morning before continuing north. Looking at a recommended overnight stop had us roaming the grounds of a large estate before realising that it was too boggy for winter use and so on we went. The 'plan' was to head for the coast of Normany, but we saw a MH aire sign in the town of Mele-sur-Sarthe and we were in no rush, so parked up. A lovely location alongside the, now much smaller, river Sarthe with picnic benches and large, level parking bays. A couple of vans pulled in that evening and were still there when we left mid morning to eventually reach the coast at Arromanches. A pretty place, with a very sad history; parts of the artificial harbour are still in place and it gave me a lump in my throat reading of all the 'men' killed there, realising they were not much older than my grandson.
There was a MH aire alongside the sports stadium, which was fairly central and meant we could explore the town with ease.
Time to start heading east on Sunday, calling on the way at the beaches Juno and Gold and winding through the narrow streets of Hermanville to another village centre aire. The boulangerie was the first stop for bread and buns - I could list all the different cakes we ate on the trip, but suffice it to say we are back on our diets now!
Slight delay with the ferry times because Portsmouth harbour was closed for an hour for the docking of the QE2, but it meant more time for them to search the bus at Ouistreham on Monday morning.
Bit of a rolly trip back, but calmed off when we got behind the IOW and then we had the joy of waiting for an hour to get through passport control. The drive back home was 'orrible - dark and raining with the usual charming road users without a minute to live that we had missed in France.
Head of navigation has worked out we did 1085 miles and the bus behaved perfectly.
Here are a few pics:-
Montreuil Bellay
La Fleche